01 March 2024

Seven Fukujin (complete crown)


1 - Ebisu

You’re hungry? I got what you really need.

Just stick with me, my son – I’ll see you right.

Why, you look undernourished, poor wee mite!

Ebisu’s got you covered – guaranteed!

I’ll sort you out a mammoth, cracking feed:

we’ll feast and fart into the blessed night!

And when this jolly blowout’s at its height,

you’ll say a prayer, and give me thanks, agreed?

And fish! Oh boy! just think about the fish!

The carp, the codfish, shark (tho just the fin –

I’ll fix a soup if that’s the way you roll).

I’m here to grant your every hungered wish,

and then I’ll leave you, with contented grin,

a bursting belly, and one sated soul.



2 - Daikokuten

A bursting belly and one sated soul

is well and good – but why not five? or twenty?

He brings a feast to fill your empty bowl,

but one good harvest gluts your life with plenty.

 

Me? I think longer term, devise and plan –

this planet offers bounty to the willing.

Renounce the stopgap slop of Fishy Man:

a prayer to me is future-proof fulfilling.

 

You teach a man to fish – y’know the rest,

this hackneyed saw is centred on “himself”.

My field is wider – there’s no use pretending:

 

You teach a man to grow, he builds a nest,

with future dinners lining every shelf –

a home, a hearth, and something worth defending.

 

 

3 - Hotei

A home, a hearth, and something worth defending?

Is someone getting broody over there?

Does instinct urge you to provide an heir?

Secure genetic legacy unending?

Or else, it’s more for family  – you’re intending

to lead a joyous band of offspring fair,

who’ll often make you laugh (and sometimes swear);

a life of love (and frequent moneylending)?

 

A small remembrance will secure my blessings,

since – though your love’s a fortress, all-embracing –

you can’t protect them each and every minute.

I’ll keep an eye, and see how they’re progressing

along life’s shining walkway, always facing

the dangers of this world and what is in it.


 

4 - Bishamonten

The dangers of this world and what is in it?

Precisely why you need a god like me!

This life’s a battle – I can help you win it,

(but bear in mind: I rarely work for free).

Now, many call for skulls, or thrones of gore –

some sacrifice before they offer favour:

your firstborn plus two hundred fattened boar,

(your daughters to be auctioned off to slavers).

 

Not me. I simply state: laws should be obeyed –

those formal codes of manners and convention.

If you behave, then count upon my blade,

to execute that lifelong intervention:

defending you in war and hostile strife;

assuring you a long and healthy life.

 

 

5 - Jurōjin

Assuring you a long and healthy life?

I rather think that’s my domain, old bean!

One constant thought to pierce you like a knife:

your years are finite; death comes unforeseen.

 

But I’ll be here, exchanging blows with brevity –

a duellist fencing fickle Father Time.

A prayer to me will guarantee longevity,

and Socrates’ old wisdom is no crime.

 

Sit back, relax, and have yourself a peach –

Enjoy the peaceful garden, filled with light.

A mortal’s grasp should e’er exceed his reach,

and reaching, grasp exceptionally tight.

 

And when the time-bell calls – your days are done –

just close your eyes and face towards the sun.


 

6 - Fukurokuju

Just close your eyes. And face towards the sun –

appreciate the blessing on your skin.

A lucky life’s the right of everyone:

the blithesome boon of seven fukujin.

 

We’ll grant you lengthy days, and feasts to fill them; 

a castle to protect your laughing children;

a love to make the Earth beneath you shift:

all human bounties lie within our gift.

 

the chief of these is luck – or kismet, karma –

the serendipity of cosmic dances;

the happy fluke of how the dice may fall.

 

So here’s the deal: you cultivate your dharma,

and us, we’ll strive to consecrate your chances –

We’re seven Gods of Fortune after all.

 

 

7 -Benzaiten

We’re seven Gods of Fortune. After all

the boys can offer you, I’ll take my turn.

The arts that fill your day are my concern:

the frosty morning Turner on your wall;

the noonday warmth in every verse you learn;

the evening wreathed in Chopin’s last nocturne.

my works contain the talent to enthral.

 

For what are lengthy days if they lie fallow?

A life bereft of art is hardly living –

refreshment meagre, meditations shallow.

I offer beauty – paramount, life-giving.

Art begets art. Compassion breeds.

You’re hungry. I got what you really need.

 

FEAST – HARVEST – FAMILY – BATTLE – LONGEVITY – FORTUNE – BEAUTY


AWB





No comments:

Post a Comment