20 February 2022

#19 – Vampires Bane

Fay Roberts stakes out mycetinis scorodonius

Now, there’s a sight these old eyes long to see:
a tiny thing, yet mighty, so they say,
the woods support its frailty with ease.
(So small and pale, yet it belongs to Day.)

Do you catch its scent? It can’t be far.
You’ll have to help me, though the incline’s slight.
Yes, through the trees I’ve seen the twilight star.
(If we hurry, we’ll be home at night)

My cousins used to use it for a dare;
see who could taste the most and not be sick.
We could try it, if you’d like to share…
(Yes, you go first, while I hold this old stick.)

It’s as I thought: the curse has caught you too.
(Well, fear not, child, I know just what to do.)

– FR

A close-up of two tiny mushrooms with disproportionately long, thin, amber-brown stalks and small, pale, lightly wrinkled caps. The stalks grow directly out of a damp piece of flaky wood covered in fronds of green. The background is blurred.
Picture from The Ultimate Mushroom Guide. Description in alt-text.



No comments:

Post a Comment