22 February 2023

#22 - I packed my suitcase, and in it I put

a sword, a cushion, and a disco ball –
protection for a wide-eyed dancing queen. 
The confidence to get up, when I fall.

A mirror, shadowed, standing in the hall; 
my soapy coriander-tasting gene;
a sword, a cushion, and a disco ball.

The bracelet that I got when I was small;
a love for words that borders on obscene;
the confidence to get up, when I fall;

the purple dress I wore to Leavers’ Ball;
the man who touched me, when I was thirteen;
a sword, a cushion, and a disco ball.

And every morning text and late-night call;
the panic when the pills mix with caffeine; 
the confidence to get up, when I fall;

the scent of cigarettes and alcohol;
the sour sting of tears, that harsh saline; 
a sword, a cushion, and a disco ball;
the confidence to get up, when I fall.


LM 


Image via unsplash.com


No comments:

Post a Comment