01 February 2023

#1 - Feeling Down

You're feeling down and you may need a spell
to get you through this February day,
so why not try a cheeky villanelle?

You know that winter feeling all too well:
the sky, your thoughts, your outlook – all are grey.
You're feeling down and you may need a spell:

some magic chant to lyrically dispel
those mental barricades that bar your way,
so why not write a cheeky villanelle?

A poet in his lonely citadel
rejecting every line as tired cliché
I’m feeling down and I may need a spell,

just hanging with inspiring personnel
(in my case that's Leanne and Russ and Fay).
Perhaps I’ll write a cheeky villanelle?

I guess I can't rely on zinfandel
to get me through this February day.
I’m feeling down, but I don’t need a spell,
cuz I just wrote a cheeky villanelle.


AWB

1 comment:

  1. I would like to propose that the phrase "cheeky villanelle" replace the phrase "swift half" in modern British lexicon. "You fancy a cheeky villanelle after work, Frank?"

    ReplyDelete